Version dated May 2019
- The number of permitted entries shall be determined for each competition and must not be exceeded. Unless otherwise stated this is up to 4 images - where a maximum of 3 of them can be digital images (e.g. all prints, or 3 digital and 1 print, or another mix of the two as applicable), per competition.
- The maximum permitted mount size is 20" x 16" (please note that this is 508mm x 406mm and therefore exceeds L&CPU guidelines - important if you wish to enter your print to the L&CPU competition also). We have made this change to allow off the shelf mounts to be used. The aperture size of off the shelf mounts is usually 16" x 12". The minimum print size is 7" x 5". Mounted prints should be no thicker than 4mm. Prints can be trade or home processed.
- In order to address the volume of submissions to club competitions, we have implemented a ranking structure. Please indicate on each image whether it is your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice entry (either on the filename if it is a digital image, or on the back if it is a printed image). If the competition has a very high number of submitted entries, everybody's 4th choice images will be discarded. If this still results in too many images, everybody's 3rd choice image will be discarded, and so on. This ranking structure is per discipline (digital and print) so if you enter 2 images in the print competition, and 2 images in the digital competition, you would indicate your 1st and 2nd choice for both competitions. Should you fail to indicate a preferential order, the competition secretary will make the decision as to which images to remove.
- Digital images to be submitted as jpg format, dimensions of 1,024 x 768 pixels at 72 DPI (dots per inch) resolution and in the sRGB colour space. This is a departure from our previous standard (1,400 x 1,050 pixels) as this is the native format of the club projector, and helps to maximise the quality of the displayed images and reduce any artifacts from interpolation of the image. Any unused areas of the image canvas must be filled in with solid black or dark grey (as if masking a slide, right-click to download & save-as a correctly sized black mask here). Files must be titled: image title (choice ranking). e.g. Sunset (4th choice).jpg. Download a sample image here that demonstrates the masking of the extra image canvas with black.
- Prints must be mounted and clearly labelled on the back with the Author's name, the title of the entry, and the choice ranking.
- Entries must have been taken for the competition where possible, or have been taken within the last three years.
- Technical data to be provided if possible. Note that if images are digital, shooting information is generally recorded as tags within the files EXIF data.
- Closing Date for entries to the Competition Secretary is the Club Meeting that precedes the Competition Meeting Date. Digital images submitted by email will be accepted up to midnight of that same preceding Club Meeting date.
- Winning images should be made available for the club to submit to other competitions where possible. eg. L&CPU Annual or Multi-club competitions.
- Images placed in positions 1 to 5 in any Competition cannot be reused in any future Competition. Commended images and non-placed images can be reused.
- Top 5 placing images from both categories (Print and Digital) will be displayed on the Club's website, and this is a condition of entry. For print entries, please submit a jpg version of the image to the webmaster following the result so that the Club website can be updated.
We will look to create our own video explaining how to create jpgs for submission to club competitions from various different pieces of software, but in the meantime the below video is a good starting point. Just remember to substitute 1024 for each instance of 1400, and 768 for each instance of 1050.